THE RATISBON TREE, #9
November 5, 1878: Six nuns, two postulants and nine little girls from Second Street form the first community called Saint Joseph’s Asylum in Blauvelt, New York.
October 1, 1890: The Certificate of Incorporation is signed under the title, the “Asylum of the Sisters of Saint Dominic”.
December 18, 1890: All documents are filed in the offices of the State and County of New York.
January 5, 1891: All deeds are transferred, financial arrangements are completed, the nuns become independent of the Second Street Congregation, and take the name: “Sisters of Saint Dominic”.
52 nuns from Second Street assisted in this mission, of these 32 remained to become members of the congregation. 9 returned to New York. (11 died in Blauvelt before 1890.)
The number professed in this congregation:
1891 to 1992 = 901